Having issues with indexing the user profiles? Getting Access Denied error messages in the crawl log for sps3://my.sharepoint.com? Are these looking like the one below?
Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled. ( HttpStatusCode Unauthorized The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. )
This most likely has to do with the default content access account not having access to the user profile service application. The default content access account needs “Retrieve People Data for Search Crawlers” permissions on the user profile service application.
Solving this is rather easy. See steps below:
- Navigate to the Central Administration
- Click on Manage Service Applications
- Select the “User Profile Service Application” (note: do not click the name of the service application, because you will be redirected to management page)
- Click in the ribbon on the Administrators button
- Add the “Default content access account” to the accounts list
- Select the “Default content access account” in the list
- Check the “Retrieve People Data for Search Crawlers” permission
- Click OK